January 6-10, 2021: Each morning the moon moves through the starfield, displays its waning phases to approach Morning Star Venus.
by Jeffrey L. Hunt
During the mornings of January 6-10, the moon appears farther eastward as it moves toward Venus that is low in the southeast.
Venus is slowly sliding into the sun’s glare. Look for it very low in the southeast before sunrise.
Read about Venus during January.
The moon appears farther eastward each morning as it approaches Venus for a picturesque pose on the morning of January 11.
Here’s what to look for each morning:
- January 6: The moon displays its Last Quarter phase at 3:37 a.m. CST. Forty-five minutes before sunrise, the moon is about halfway up in the south-southwest, 8.4° to the upper right of the star Spica
- January 7: The moon, 37% illuminated, is 38.0° up in the south, 9.8° to the upper left of Spica. During brighter twilight, Venus is about 6° up in the southeast.
- January 8: The moon, 26% illuminated and over one-third of the way up in the south-southeast, is 2.3° to the upper left of the star Zubenelgenubi.
- January 9: The crescent moon is over 20° in altitude above the southeast horizon. It is 2.2° to the upper right of the star Graffias.
- January 10: The crescent moon the moon is 7.0° to the left of the star Antares. Find Venus over 5° in altitude in the southeast.
Read more about the planets during January.
- 2023, October 20: Jupiter’s Double Shadows, Mercury at Superior ConjunctionOctober 20: After midnight, Jupiter’s moons’ shadows dance across the cloud tops. Mercury is at superior conjunction.
- 2023, October 19: Poured Moon, See Planet UranusOctober 19: Sagittarius seems to pour the moon into the sky this evening. Find Uranus with a binocular.
- 2023, October 18: Moon-Antares Conjunction, Bright PlanetsOctober 18, 2023: The moon is near Antares after sunset. Venus, Jupiter, and Saturn are in the sky during the nighttime hours.
- 2023, October 17: Scorpion MoonOctober 17, 2023: The crescent moon is with Scorpius during evening twilight. Venus and Jupiter gleam from the predawn sky.
- 2023, October 16: Venus in Starry ConjunctionOctober 16, 2023: Venus passes a star in Leo before sunrise. A crescent moon is low in the western sky during evening twilight.